Fixed the intercooler pipework to the aluminium side panles using 66mm Exhaust U-clamps. These work very well, and the pipes are very secure.
Fixed the two fuel lines below the side pipes, on the drivers side. Used 8mm P clips and M6 rivnuts.
Fitted the rear bulk head GRP panel, used M6 rivnuts and button heads, had to cut out a small section to fit the roll cage in place. Secured with M6 button heads.
Removed the cross member bar from the door openings, and made a holding frame to support the weight for the two GRP side panels.
Think I will need to front and rear clam shells in order to determine the exact position of the side panels. Although it does appear to located with the rear bulk head, I just want to be sure.
Swapped out the front brake line for the alternative supplied by marlin.
Fitted non return valve for the fuel tank breather.
Fixed the side panels on the passenger side, fitted as per the drivers side.
Bought some 66mm exhaust U-clamps, to fit the intercooler side pipes on securly.
Fixed the side panels on the drivers side, used sealant to ensure that it is water tight.
Riveted all section on, and fitted the accelerator expansion box.
Will need to address the rivets on the accelerator box, as these seem protrude into the drivers foot well a bit too much, and may fail an IVA.
Once the sealant is dry I will use a small wire brush to clean up the appearance.
Will fit the passenger side next, this should prove easier than the drivers side.
Last night I made a paper template to make a box section that will fit over the accelerator,
Tonight I made traced it out, made it longer and folded aluminium to make the box section. Looks ok, given the limited metal folding facilities I have, a vice and a rubber hammer :)
Set about fixing the 4 aluminium side panels to the chassis.
Had to remove the turbo intercooler side pipes and Roll cage to allow better access.
Cut a slot out to add the extension required to box in the accelarator pedal.
Cut the slots for the roll cage, and door mounting plates.
Marked on side for pilot drilling prior to permanently fixing with rivets.
Got a new supply of various M6 , M8 and M10 nuts and bolts from screw fix, to rivnut on most if not all of the body work panels.
Had a good trip to the Marlin factory.
Set of on Saturday at 7am and arrived at 9:45am, chatted with Mark for good few hours.
Loaded up the van and set of back home with Module 3 in the back.
Arrive back home at 3:10pm, a round trip of 280 miles and 6 hours of driving.
The front and rear clam shells are now in a spare bedroom, with the two side panel GRP pieces in the garage, waiting to be fitted.
I love the orange colour, it looks better than I thought it would.
Now comes the task of fitting all together.
Did spot one problem having seen another 5EXi, my steering rack is way too tight, so will need to address that problem, before moving on to the bodywork.
It may just be lacking some grease, or the tensioner is too tight, Job #1 on sunday.
Module 3 is ready and waiting at Marlin, so the transit van is booked for friday night. Ready to collect Module 3 on saturday.
The 3rd wiring loom for Edd is also ready, so that will be going with me on saturday.
Received the hydraulic brake line switch M10x1 with spade termnals from car builder solutions. So set about fitting then filling the hydarulic system.
One thing to make sure is that the trile reservoir is fitted correctly.
Two chambers have a label for brakes the thrid does not have a label.
Make sure that the two labbeled for brakes goto the front and rear brake setup.
The brakes were bled with the help of my neighbour, and all seems ok.
Now the rear pads were centered correctly the handbrake can be applied and works very well.
Had some problems with the clutch, where under pressure the bleed nipple came away from the gearbox housing. Once fixed correctly and secured in place the system was bled again and the clucth now operates first time exactly as designed.
Need to boko a transit van to collect the bodywork on Saturday !!!
My replacement brake lines from Marlin have arrived at 90cm long these should allow the front end to be connected.
Also received Fog Lamp, Reversing lamp and high level brake light.
I have ordered a hydraulic brake line switch M10x1 with spade termnals from car builder solutions. Fingers crossed this arrives by first class post on saturday.
An update on my module 3 order,.... its due to arrive with Marlin on Monday, so I may be able to collect it on saturday 6th November. Then the hard work starts again.
Completed the addition of multiway connectors for the dashboard instruments and center console.
Two on the dashboard panel and three on the center console with 2 connections spare.